Event: Bike and Circuses
Production Company: Green Kids Inc.
Directors / Producers: Daina Leitold and Brenda McLean
Contract Dates: May 1 - June 6, 2022 creation period, June 7-12 tech and performances
Fees $1,100 per performer, plus $500 creation fee per group/individual
Bike and Circuses is an all-ages event that will take place in Whittier and Lagimodière-Gaboury Parks in June. Circus-inspired performances will be nestled along the pathway, waiting to greet audiences. Some shows will be set up for audiences to cycle through, while others will be set up for folks who would rather walk or slow-roll the path. Performances may be set along a riverbank, in a field, amongst the trees or atop rolling hills. The theme is climate change.
We are seeking submissions from individuals and small groups (up to 5) specializing in these and other circus-style disciplines: acrobats, aerial artists, bicycle performers, clowns, contortionists, dancers, gymnasts, jugglers, magicians, musicians, performance artists, puppeteers, stilt walkers, unicyclists. Applicants must be 16 years or older.
Successful applicants will be commissioned to create and perform a 3-4 minute piece as part of Bike and Circuses 2022. The creation process will involve working with directors and designers to create a performance, performance area, and design that fits aesthetically and thematically with the event as a whole.
Please include in your submission:
1. A bio and resume or CV*. For groups, we’d like to know about the group and the individuals.
2. A description of how you might use your art form and skill set in a performance that addresses Climate Change*. 10-20 sentences.
3. A 2-5 minute video showcasing your work. This can be from past projects or something new you put together for this application, can also include photos of your work.
* These can be submitted in written form, or an audio or video file.
Things to consider when creating your submission:
1. This is an all-ages event.
2. Performances will be outdoors and will still run in light rain. We will work with performers to create a safe back-up plan for rainy days.
3. The performance needs to be repeatable.
4. Please avoid electronics.
Call to Artists Out: February 4th
Deadline for Submissions: February 28th
Call Backs: March 5 thru March 12 (interviews over Zoom)
Offers Out: by March 20th
Green Kids Inc. is committed to equitable casting and positively encourages applications from individuals from all communities and intersectionalities inclusive of gender identity, age, race, sexual orientation, ability, pregnancy, maternity and paternity.
Please send your written submissions and a link to your video upload to email@example.com. We recommend these platforms for video file transfers: wetransfer, Dropbox or Google Drive.
Questions about the application, uploading videos or the event? Do you have access needs we can help with? Please contact Daina at 204-940-4745 or firstname.lastname@example.org.